Thursday, May 28, 2015

Encaustic Sculpture

I have always wanted to do encaustic figurative sculpture, and I have finally started working on some.  I probably should not post these images, because if I proceed how I have in the past, I will never finish them.  I have gotten further this time than I ever have though.  This first image is paper clay, a lampshade, a cardboard tube and a net skirt from a doll.  It is ready for encaustic now.


The next figure is composed of paper clay, a cage of wood strips like you make for a Santos doll, and plaster cloth.  I am not sure where it is going next.  I am thinking of trying window screen to make a skirt.

The last figure started with a wooden figure that you use to pose differently to practice drawing.  I should have taken a picture of it first.  It is wrapped in many layers of plaster cloth and is not yet ready for encaustic.  As with my paintings, I do not really have a plan, and I just have to figure out what the next step will be.  I think it is easier to be an intuitive artist when painting than it is for this kind of work.  I fear I should have had a plan!  I will post new images as the project develops.

No comments:

Post a Comment