Monday, July 12, 2010

Robert Burridge Workshop







This is where I spent the last four days. I attended a Robert Burridge Mentor Workshop at his studio in Arroyo Grande, CA. There were only 7 students, so Bob was not having to attend to the usual 18 or 20, giving all of us more one-on-one time. His studio is situated on 9 acres and surrounded by open fields, trees, birds, cows and other critters. When the music is not playing, it is completely quiet, except for the sounds of birds. It is fabulous. The studio is surrounded by a deck, the walls are covered with Burridge paintings, and you have good music and good company. I couldn't ask for much more.

I have probably attended about 8 Burridge workshops of various lengths over the last 13 years. I never tire of absorbing his enthusiasm for all things art. He is truly a person who loves what he does. You cannot help but be inspired by him, at least I can't.

I started working on a body of work that is about large women doing things that they don't usually do. So far the paintings contain writing, such as "She used to fly only when she thought no one was looking." It is a series I will be working on for quite some time I think.

One of the most interesting things that occurred during the workshop was watching Bob create the centerpiece for his upcoming show at the San Luis Obispo Museum. It was amazing. He knew exactly what he wanted to do, threw himself at the painting (after organizing his space perfectly for that painting) and created a large painting in about 30 minutes.

I should also mention that Bob's wife, Kate, provided breakfast, lunch and snacks everyday, and they were delicious. They also provided a selection of California wines.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to seeing your "Big Women" work started here at his workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to meet you at the workshop and you have a great blog. I'm going to link to it in my next post so my readers can read more about the mentoring experience. You have some lovely paintings also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I see why the photo was "off"..this was not OUR workshop but an earlier one..still a good post.

      Delete